Mohammad Kaif has expressed his opinions about Rohit Sharma‘s present status following the former Indian captain’s game-winning effort at Lord’s on July 19, 2026. When India was chasing 388 in the third ODI, Rohit produced an unbeaten 138, but England won by 27 runs to end the series 2-1. During the innings, which included 17 fours and five sixes off 84 balls, Rohit scored his first century of 2026 and his 34th century in the format.
Kaif underlined that no clear public statements on Rohit’s future had been made by the team management. “Yes, one thing has become clear,” he said, pointing out that while the coaching team has talked about letting Rohit play in his own way, no official statement about his inclusion in the 2027 World Cup plans has been made.
Coaching staff members occasionally declare, “We have given Rohit Sharma complete freedom to play his natural game.” However, no one has yet to explicitly announce that “Rohit Sharma is part of our plans for the 2027 World Cup.” That statement must also be made. Naturally, Rohit Sharma’s form will fluctuate. Even though his series hasn’t been great, the management needs to show that it supports him. They should openly declare their support for him in addition to granting him freedom.
On his YouTube channel, Kaif stated, “There is a great deal of uncertainty and confusion because no such announcement has been issued. We don’t know exactly what’s going on inside because we’re sitting outside.
However, it seems to me that Rohit Sharma has now made up his mind not to leave on his own,” he continued.
How his present retirement is different from his past ones
Kaif also discussed the speculations surrounding the Lord’s match and the BCCI’s influence. Reports had suggested that the match might be Rohit’s last One-Day International, even if these were portrayed as possibilities rather than official plans. “Twice, he has taken the decision himself.”
It was also suggested that the Lord’s match might be his last One-Day International. A question mark was affixed to it. However, these reports have the potential to grow significantly. By releasing a statement prior to the Lord’s match, the BCCI performed admirably. That intervention turned out to be a pivotal moment.”
There might still be internal confusion—possibly even among the selectors—about whether or not to keep him,” Kaif stated. However, a final decision has not yet been made public. “Rohit Sharma should now be allowed to play his game without any restrictions. The BCCI’s declaration made sure that cricket took center stage at Lord’s. If not, each image would have encouraged additional conjecture.
“Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma are sitting together and looking very serious, so this must be Rohit’s final match,” people would have remarked. The rumors would have continued to spread. At the perfect moment, the BCCI put an end to that story. He continued, “The BCCI secretary deserves credit for coming up and making a declaration.
At Lord’s, Rohit became the first male Indian batsman to score a century in an ODI. India’s captain, Shubman Gill, had earlier claimed that Rohit had not told the team about his intention to quit the sport. Rohit’s future selection will likely depend on both his consistent performance and the management’s explicit statements on his involvement in upcoming events.






