Former India captain Sourav Ganguly and his wife Dona filed a formal written complaint at the Thakurpukur Police Station in Kolkata after receiving multiple death threat letters throughout the preceding six months. On Monday, August 10, 2026, the day the complaint was lodged, the Bengal Cricket President’s office opened the latest threatening letter.
The most recent letter had explicit threats to ruin Ganguly and his family and was written entirely in English. While earlier letters in the series had been written off as letters from devoted lovers, the most recent letter’s more sinister tone prompted the family to make an official complaint with law enforcement.
Every letter that was sent by courier to the Sourav Ganguly residence was identified as being from Belgharia resident Arun Kumar.
Investigators were able to locate a phone number mentioned in the letter after a Truecaller search produced the same identity. Police are currently looking into whether the threats were sent by the genuine Arun Kumar or if someone else used his identity falsely.
What steps have the police and government done to address the complaint?
After the complaint was filed, police confirmed that a formal investigation was under progress. Officers are treating the situation as a serious security threat because Sourav Ganguly is a well-known public figure. They are focusing on tracking the origin of the courier letters and identifying the sender. “I wish to bring to your kind attention a matter of serious concern regarding certain threatening letters that have been received by Mr. Sourav Ganguly and his family.
“However, we received two letters today addressed to Mr. Sourav Ganguly and Mrs. Dona Sourav Ganguly , in which the sender threatened the lives and safety of Mr. Ganguly, Mrs. Dona Ganguly, and those who work [with/for] him in addition to making hateful remarks against Mr. Sourav Ganguly.”
“We are really concerned about the seriousness of the threats in the letters. The complaint stated, “We believe that the matter requires immediate police intervention and investigation because the letters have now escalated from hate/derogatory communication to explicit threats to life and personal safety.”
The state government’s security department was notified and told to take prompt action. That department is currently assessing whether Sourav Ganguly current security systems need to be strengthened due to the attacks’ recurring nature. No further security measures have been disclosed to the public as of yet.
“We have started an investigation and are taking all necessary measures to ensure the safety of Mr. Sourav Ganguly and his family,” police officers told Ganguly’s PA in response to the complaint.
Before taking over as president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India, Ganguly was India’s captain and one of the country’s most well-known cricket administrators. On August 10, 2026, when he was president of Bengal cricket, the most recent threatening letter was found.






